Sunday, January 24, 2010

Get-It-Before-It's-Gone Marketing Outdated

Just let me say, you'd better read this blog post before it's gone! I'll lock it in the Relatively Journalizing vault in just 24 hours! Yeah, right, you either (A) don't care that much, (B) don't believe me or (C) just copy/pasted the entire post to a Word document just in case. And those reasons, the latter one especially, are why get-it-before-it's-gone marketing is an outdated tool in the Internet age. If you want something, chances are you'll find somewhere to get it.

Yet, for some reason, the Mouse thinks this still works. Disney expects us all to become so frightened that we might not see The Little Mermaid for 10 years that we'll rush out to buy it on whatever format happens to be the trendiest at the time. Think again.

I checked to see what titles are currently in the so-called vault right now, and guess what? I was able to find multiple copies of all of them on Amazon for various reasonable prices in DVD format. Yet, I still see plenty of advertising for the titles the company plans to hide away from us all come Jan. 30, 2010. I'm not scared, are you?

So what leads Disney to think this sort of tomfoolery will still work in 2010? Your guess is as good as mine.

No comments: