Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Get Quicker Facebook Updates And Help Out Your Inbox

Do you currently get an e-mail notification each time someone writes on your Facebook wall or sends you a message? Those were my settings, but it got to the point that I was getting a lot of these e-mails. In addition, many times I would already be logged into Facebook and get the red notification bubble in the bottom-right corner of the screen or see a notification show up in my feed.

So, if you want to cut out some inbox traffic and be able to check out a social media update instantly, perhaps you should consider Facebook's notification RSS feed. Now, the updates to this feed are not the same as what you'll find in the News Feed on the home page of Facebook. Rather, this feed gives you updates that relate to you. If someone writes on your wall, sends you a message, comments on a photo you commented on, etc., then it will show up in the RSS feed.

So, how do you get this feed? Here are the step-by-step directions:
  1. Click on "inbox" at the top toolbar in Facebook (you need to be logged in of course).
  2. Click the "notifications" tab once inside the message center.
  3. There is now a sidebar on the right side of your screen. There is a header that says, "Subscribe to Notifications." Under that header, you'll notice a "Your Notifications" link beside a feed symbol such as the one in this post. Click it.
  4. Now, you'll be given the option to save this in a bookmark, to a reader, etc. I went ahead and saved it in my bookmarks, then opened my bookmarks for organization and dragged and dropped the feed into the top toolbar area in my browser window. Now, I just click one time on the feed (I named mine "Facebook Notifications") and I get a super-quick loading, drop-down list of every Facebook notification that has come into my account during the last month or so.
I should note, regarding the directions, that I did this in the latest version of the Firefox browser. I doubt you will experience much difference if doing it in Internet Explorer, but then again, why are you still using Internet Explorer? (Seriously, don't take my word for it, take this word, and this one, or Chris Pirillo's, or this bloke from the UK's opinion. Go download Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome right now and save yourself some trouble in the future. Did I mention they are free?)

No comments: