Thursday, December 18, 2008

PETA Doesn't Even Take Itself Seriously

Recently, Ingrid Newkirk, PETA co-founder (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), did a "10 Questions" interview for the Nov. 3, 2008, edition of TIME magazine. Her answers to some of the write-in questions the magazine received from readers just did not seem very sincere. It almost seems as though Newkirk herself doesn't even take her ridiculous organization seriously. And if she doesn't, why should we?

Some quotes from Newkirk:
"I think if you're against cruelty and you look at what happens to animals in slaughterhouses and on factory farms, you have to be completely against eating meat."
So if I raise my own animals at my house, then it's OK to kill them for meat? Awesome.

In regard to PETA's recent advocating for Ben & Jerry's to use human breast milk in their ice cream:
"It isn't very feasible at all... it was a joke... making anything out of cow's milk is unkind."
Yes, I agree, rubbing that poor animal's breasts is almost as cruel as killing it. I'm sure the cow would love to have all that milk for herself. Newkirk also mentioned that we are taking milk meant for calves. Last time I checked, your milk cows are used for milk or they are used for breeding, usually not both at the same time. Update: It has been pointed out to me by some animal activists that cows are impregnated yearly to keep them producing milk. While I don't find this cruel (because I don't think we should stop drinking milk or eating beef), some do, and more information is available here, here and here. Thanks to gvusamail [at] gmail [dot] com specifically for those links.
"I think animal liberation is human liberation."
I ROTFLMAO'd a bit when I read that one. Very Orwellian, FTW!
"I think people who don't know PETA often miss the fact that we're poking fun at ourselves..."
No, trust me, Ingrid, we didn't miss that fact at all.

FYI, I'm starting a new organization and calling it PEATA (People for Eating All Types of Animals).

No comments: