Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Merry (Jesus) Christ(mas)

While I realize it's perhaps a little early to wish you Merry Christmas just yet (and I promise to do it again when the day actually rolls around), I am in the final stretch of my next-to-last semester of graduate school. Yeah, you guessed it, I'm swamped with tying up loose ends, grading, proctoring exams, being around for office hours and studying for the finals in my own classes. This, of course, means that while I have a great long list of good blogging ideas, all of them require a decent amount of research and hyperlinking and such. Therefore, today's post is going to be a quickie, but a good one nonetheless.

Now, you'll notice in the sidebar on the left that Daron Williams is a contributor to this blog. In the past, he's written about the Olympics and MADD. I normally would not link to such a sub-par publication such as the Collegiate Times, the student newsjoke at Virginia Tech, but it happens to have some high-quality opinion in it this semester by none other than Williams. His column from yesterday discussed the absurdity of the political correctness the VT administration is trying to push by discouraging people from celebrating the holiday of their choice this season.

I have to give Daron a lot of credit. I know him pretty well, and he's one of the most down-to-earth, nicest guys you'll ever meet. So when he talks about all of this "Kumbaya" B.S. in terms of appreciating others' points of view and whatnot, I know he sincerely means it. Now, I totally do not think we should be bigoted toward others' beliefs. If you want to celebrate Hanukkah, that's your business. However, I'm going to take it another step past what my good friend Mr. Williams did.

Merry Christmas.

Nope, I'm not even mentioning another holiday. Because you know what, when it comes to December in the good ol' United States of America, we've done just fine with Christmas for quite some time now, and it's always worked so far. So yeah, you're free to go celebrate whatever you want. And I won't be offended if you tell me Happy Winter Solstice (though I will give you a strange look), so get the heck over it if I love to celebrate Christmas. I guess that's what Williams was getting at in his column really, that we all just need to get along to further the spirit of the season, regardless of what you celebrate. And I can get on board with that.

But I'll be damned if I quell my joy or stop myself in any other way on campus from enjoying the Christmas season. I don't really care who it offends. I won't use your menorah for late-night studying if you won't make the Star of Bethlehem a Star of David. And I won't keep you atheists from celebrating... uh... from... um... not having fun and being grumpy. I guess the whole reason for this blog post (because I know it seems scattered) was to:
  1. Find an excuse to feature a good column by my friend.
  2. Put something up for today's post that required little research (at least I'm admitting it)!
  3. And to just say I think it's ridiculous and out of place for the university to try to dictate what anyone can or cannot do on campus regarding holiday celebrations, regardless of religion/belief/custom.
  4. Well, and finally, to express my opinion that Christmas is the best and most important and most meaningful holiday in all of the world. You don't have to agree, and I'll still shake your hand if you disagree, but at least be a good sport about it all and don't go whining that I'm oppressing you. Yeah, sorry about that whole gift-giving, love-spreading, hope-bringing thing... I know that must suck for you.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://www.car-insurance-choices.com