Monday, December 8, 2008

Is 'This' Blog 'Post' 'Unnecessarily' 'Using' Punctuation?!?!....

There are few things in life that make me angrier than when people make simple mistakes with punctuation that they should have learned not to make in middle school. Now, I don't promise to be perfect with my writing, especially online, but I do try my best to edit my work as much as time allows while putting my best product forward when I write. I make my best effort not to write 1970's when the 1970s aren't owning something. Some people, however, just blatantly ignore the rules of the English language, therefore attempting to murder it and making my blood pressure skyrocket.

The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks showcases such stupefyingly idiotic uses of everyone's favorite punctuation device — the quotation mark. While I enjoy this blog very much, I must admit that reading more than one or two posts makes me want to scream. Perhaps you'll make it through more.

The general rule I try to get people to abide by when they ask me for writing tips: it's called a quotation mark for a reason. Don't use it unless you are actually quoting someone.

See you "next time."

No comments: