Saturday, September 27, 2008

Internship Update: It's Over... Sort Of

So the original reason I started this blog was to update about my internship.

Since the blog began, I've written about many topics related to my public relations internship, and I've written about a whole lot more that wasn't. I became pretty addicted to blogging. Writing is my passion, and it keeps me relaxed. So, my internship has come to an end, and now I've scheduled my theoretically based paper and presentation regarding it for Nov. 19, 2008 from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. in Shanks Hall 043 on the Virginia Tech campus. Come on by if you're in town and interested.

Now, I wrote a lot about tech topics, sports, graduate school and other various topics, but I did focus quite a bit on my internship, and I really think these handful of blog posts don't even come close to scratching the surface of all I learned. Once I get more into the paper, I'll be sure to update you, seeing how you've followed me through this journey. But what did the blog help me keep track of and reflect on?

Well, I met everyone, and started right off learning a little about surveying for market research. I did some promotions along the way, and even wrote an album review. A lot of my time was spent on doing an annual report, which taught me a lot about what they are really about. I even did some writing for the report, including a story about blueberries. I learned that real public relations gives the public a voice. I talked about using social networking in marketing and all the uncertainties involved therein, and even tried my hand at another review. I learned a lot too about the differences between journalism and public relations, and even found out some things about both that really annoy me.

All in all, I had a great experience. Probably a lot better experience than I'll have writing this paper and trying to wrap my practical mind around what I did in relation to communication theory. At least I have some time. Stay tuned!

No comments: