Tuesday, June 10, 2008

First post

Well, here it is. My first post on this blog. I had a blog once — about seven years ago. Yeah, I was on the original blog train, being the somewhat nerdy kid I was. Then, everyone got blogs. I felt they were cliché, so I quit blogging. Heck, I can even remember when blogs were still called Web logs. Anyway, all of that is beside the point.

I now have a newfound respect for and interest in blogging. Recent conversations with some of the greatest minds in the field of communication (the faculty at Virginia Tech's Department of Communication, the faculty of the W. Page Pitt School of Journalism and Mass Communication, and various scholars who have published on the subject) have shed new light for me on how this phenomenon contributes to citizen journalism, metacommunication, and other topics related to technology, the Internet and the media.

So, why blogging again? Well, actually, my adviser, Dr. Rachel Holloway, recommended I blog as a way to keep track of my experiences during my graduate internship this summer. In the fall, I'll have to give a presentation about the things I observed and how I think these things tie into the communication theories I've learned (something tells me framing theory will be involved). The internship is with Access Advertising + PR + Design in Roanoke, Va., headed up by Todd Marcum, a Marshall alumnus, and Terri Jones, winner of tons of prestigious PR awards in recent years. I'm excited to learn from some of the best in the business this summer, so we'll see how it goes!

I'm already working on a few stories for the Roanoke Times, which I'll try to post links to once they are published. I gained a lot of great writing and journalism experience last summer working for the Times, adding to the excellent education I feel I received at Page Pitt. I go to Roanoke tomorrow to meet with Todd and Terri to get more details on the three projects I've been told I'll work on this summer, so expect another post soon!

2 comments:

zoomzoom2222 said...

I am related you to in a way and I plan to read alot of your blogs... I have contacted Brian and his dad, so that was cool... first time in 22 years.

Anyways Joshua, keep up the good work on sharpening your writting skills.

JD said...

Wow, related! How? My e-mail address is joshuadelung [at] gmail [dot] com if you want to contact me that way. Keep in touch!